So what, exactly, is in the vitamins, herbs and superfood supplements that we buy? When these are sold most of us automatically assume they are safe. And while the natural products industry actually does have a good safety record, especially when you contrast it with all of the people killed by Big Pharma every year, it still suffers from a lot of hidden toxins that are used routinely throughout the industry.
Here are the 10 worst toxins, as discovered by Natural News editor Mike Adams, the Health Ranger:
- Maltodextrin: This is the big one. If any natural product you buy has as one of its ingredients “maltodextrin,” the chances are extremely good that the maltodextrin in your product came from Monsanto’s GM corn.
- Vitamin C/Ascorbic acid: Again, nearly all of the “vitamin C” that is sold across America today comes from GMO corn. It is typically called ascorbic acid; sourcing non-GMO vitamin C typically means you have to go outside the U.S.
- Hexane-extracted soy and rice proteins: Nearly 100 percent of the “natural” soy products sold in the U.S. are extracted in China using the hexane extraction method; anything from China needs to be double-checked for metals content to make sure it’s clean.
- High levels of aluminum in detox products: Natural News helped expose high aluminum levels (over 1200ppm) in a popular detox liquid, causing the main U.S. distributor to issue a “recall” notice and provide over $1 million in refunds to customers.
- Lead and arsenic in herbs from China: China is the most polluted nation on the planet (by far), yet many fruits, vegetables and herbs are grown in China and exported to North America for use in natural products.
- Inorganic minerals in cheap vitamins: The calcium found in cheap vitamins is often just ground-up seashells, and magnesium is often sold as cheap magnesium oxide which may be completely useless to your body’s cells.
- Carrageenan: The Cornucopia Institute recently published a warning about carrageenan in foods. Cornucopia says carrageenan is linked to “gastrointestinal inflammation, including higher rates of colon cancer, in laboratory animals.”
- Acrylamides: These are not technically “ingredients” so they don’t have to be listed on food labels, but they are cancer-causing chemicals produced during the cooking of carbohydrates (like snack chips).
- Hidden MSG: Hidden MSG is a huge issue across the natural products industry.
- Fluoride in green tea: “Green tea is famous for being contaminated with high levels of fluoride. This is frustrating, because green tea is phenomenally good for your health, reports Natural News.